Recipient of the Friends of Arizona Archives (FAzA) award, presented at the 2010 Arizona History Convention, for the best use of archival research materials using multiple collections from more than one archival repository. Jan’s paper was entitled, “Keeping the Faith: The Daughters of Charity on the Comstock and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in the Old Pueblo.”
National Federation of Press Women
2010 Winner of the National Federation of Press Women's Communication Contest for historical articles.
Awarded Best Entry, Outstanding Writing for historical profile articles by Arizona Newspaper Association at 2010 Arizona Press Women's annual conference.
"Never Don't Pay Attention" The Life of Rodeo Photographer Louise L. Serpa
- 2016 New Mexico/Arizona Book Award Winner for best Arizona biography
- 2016 Finalist for Indie Book Awards
- Cowgirl Magazine book review: ". . . a fascinating and compelling biography of rodeo photographer Louise L. Serpa."
Levi's & Lace: Arizona Women Who Made History
- 2012 FINALIST for the New Mexico/Arizona Book Awards.
Amazing Girls of Arizona: True Stories of Young Pioneers
- 2014 HONORS recipient of the Storytelling World Resource Awards for the selection “Indian Captive,” the story of Olive Ann Oatman.
- Selected as one of best books of 2009 by Arizona Book Publishing Association
- 2009 WINNER for young adult nonfiction awarded by the Arizona Book Publishing Association
- 2008 FINALIST National Best Books Awards, sponsored by USA Book News
- 2008 FINALIST Arizona Press Women's Communication Contest for young adult nonfiction
Outlaw Tales of Arizona: True Stories of Arizona's Most Famous Robbers, Rustlers and Bandits
- 2007 WINNER National Federation of Press Women's Communications Contest in historical nonfiction
- 2007 WINNER Arizona Press Women's Communications Contest in historical nonfiction
- 2007 Finalist for regional books in the Arizona Book Publishing Association annual book awards competition
More Than Petticoats: Remarkable Nevada Women
- 2006 WILLA Literary Award Finalist - Presented annually for outstanding literature featuring women's stories set in the West. The WILLA Literary Awards are named after author Willa Cather.
- 2006 Finalist in Arizona Press Women's Communications Contest
- 2006 Roll of Honor of the Nevada Women's History Project - Honors individuals and organizations who have "made a difference" in the gathering and dissemination of Nevada women's history; who have shown commitment and creativity that resulted in tangible contributions of published works, video collections, accessible research data and special services.
Sharlot Hall Alice B. Longan Award (Prescott, Arizona)
Jan was a finalist in 2001 for the Sharlot Hall Alice B. Longan award which encourages serious women writers at the beginning of their literary careers.